Thursday, April 16, 2009

Class

Has class shaped my beliefs of different work by gender?



Yes, class did shape my beliefs of what jobs are right for a male and a female. Men had all the more physical jobs. Physical job like a construction worker, factory worker or police officer. Women had more a of a less physical job. Less physical jobs like a housewife, health aid, or store clerk. Men always had the more respectable career like a business man. While growing up middle class I couldn't picture a female police officer, because I hardly ever saw it, but today's it is typical. I never saw a business women either. When I was a kid, I went to the city where I saw a bunch of business women that I thought never existed. It did exist, but not in my community,but in wealthy communities. I never saw a female construction worker up to this day, I know they existed. I guess as time changed some roles of gender changed and some roles of gender just stayed the same. No matter how much roles of gender changed or didn't, you learned what your society raised you too. What I mean is that you grew up thinking a police officer isn't right for a women it is a man's job, that what you will still believe even thought it is totally accetable to society in the present time.

No comments:

Post a Comment